New Facebook Page Layout Prevents Profile Header HackPieter posted in "Hacks & tricks". 6 years, 1 month ago
A few moments ago, we received the notification that our Facebook Page was eligible for an upgrade to the new Page layout. And when we saw the new row of photos at the top, similar to the one on personal profile pages, we immediately wanted to hack it and add an eye-catching profile header. Regrettably, Facebook decided to have these photos randomly change positions on Pages, unlike the static behaviour on people’s profiles.
The five most recent photos that you have published or tagged your Page in are displayed randomly at the top of your Page. As a Page admin, you can prevent specific photos from appearing at the top of your Page. Remember: This row only contains photos you’ve posted or tagged your Page in; photos from people who like your Page won’t show up here.
We hoped we could use the row of photos to communicate with our fans in a creative way, but as you can judge by the scrambled images in the screenshot below, Facebook has decided otherwise. Luckily, the profile hack is still applicable to personal profiles.
The new Page design launches officially in March 2011, but you can already upgrade individual pages as of today. Once upgraded, every visitor to your page will see the new layout, and you will not be able to revert back to the previous one.
Here’s an overview of all the changes in the new Page design of February 2011:
- Photos at the top: The most recent photos that you post to the Wall of a Page you admin, or photos you tag your Page in, will appear here. This area will not include any photos posted by people who like your Page. To hide a photo, roll over it and click X.
- You will be able to receive notifications for your Page, view a News Feed for your Page, like and post on other Pages as your Page or post to your own page using your full name.
- Pages now have two publicly visible Wall filters-“Posts by Page” and top posts from “Everyone.” Page admins will be able to view additional filters-“Most Recent” and “Hidden Posts.”
Email notifications: You can opt to receive notifications when people post or comment on your Page.
- Featured Pages and admins: You can feature other Pages your Page likes, or admins of your Page, in the new “Likes” and “Page Owners” sections on the left side of your Page.
- Mutual connections: When people visit your Page, they will be able to view friends who also like your Page, as well as other Pages that both they and your Page like.
- Feature other pages you like and see their activity in your feed.
- The navigation that you formerly accessed by clicking the tabs at the top of your Page can now be found in the column underneath your Page profile picture, just like on people’s profile. The text in the box that used to appear in the box underneath your Page profile picture will now appear in the Info tab.