Osama Bin Laden Caught Thanks To Poor Facebook Privacy Settings?Pieter posted in "Privacy & security". 5 years, 11 months ago
Did Facebook Places help the C.I.A. find and kill Osama Bin Laden?
Of course not! But as usual, we couldn’t resist.
Now to make this post worth your wile… say you’re hiding in a compound, like Osama Bin Laden, and don’t want to be found, here’s how to change the privacy controls in your favor:
- Go to your Privacy Settings.
- Click the “Customize settings” link.
- Under “Things I share”, set “Places you check in to” to “Friends Only” and uncheck “Include me in ‘People Here Now’ after I check in”.
- Under “Things others share”, set “Friends can check me in to Places” to “Disabled”.
- Go back to your Privacy Settings and click the “Edit your settings” link under Apps and Websites.
- Click “Edit Settings” next to “Info accessible through your friends”.
- Make sure “Places I check in to” is unchecked.
- Finally, you might want to completely refrain from using Facebook Places. Duh.
Osama Bin Zuckerberged!
Image source: Design You Trust.